On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 3:18 AM Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The OpenStreetMap community has long agreed that mapping cadastral parcels
> (land ownership) is not in scope. Protect area and National Park boundaries
> were supposed to be less difficult to confirm and more valid.
>
> But if what we are going to start mapping in the USA is simply the federal
> ownership of land, that's just pure cadastre data. We might as well try to
> map all the private land parcels and keep that information accurate - but
> both tasks are too difficult, and the data is better provided by local
> governments directly.

We don't map cadastre at least partly out of respect for personal privacy -
something that is not at issue with government-owned land.

A larger point, however, is that we _do_ map land use; we _do_ map
protection status, and we _do_ map constraints on public access.  In this
particular case, as with many cases of government-owned land, the land use,
the protection status, and the public access all follow the property lines.
That is what is (implicitly) being mapped; mapping the property line is the
way that it is achieved.
--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin