OSM comprises data but data are produced and interpreted by fallible
humans. I would argue that OSM doesn't "simply say" anything, because the
act of defining tags is a subjective process negotiated between individuals
with different ideas about, for example, what a "viewpoint" is. It's not a
simple matter of recording altitude or what type of rock formation is in a
location. We are defining what a lot of these data will be and how they
will be communicated through OSM to the users, and that has an impact on
how those users interpret the world. There's a certain amount of
responsibility inherent to that process. And if we are going to take the
tactic of simply putting "what is" on the map, then I would argue we should
only include viewpoints that are officially signed as such. Otherwise the
process of deciding which ones are included and which ones are becomes too
subjective and will never accurately reflect "what is".

I think Kevin provides a lot of really good examples of edge cases that
make a blanket rule difficult to develop, I appreciate you sharing them.
Creative usage of tagging might be the best way to approach those types of
situations, although I wonder how many OSM users will use that metadata, as
opposed simply looking at the locations on a map. The stories also speak to
the idea that people will find these places even if they aren't on OSM, and
it makes me wonder if OSM needs to include every trail and viewpoint known
to man (especially the story of the city folk being turned back for safety
concerns).

Sidenote: this discussion is such a great example of complicated it is to
produce a map, I'm very much enjoying it.

--
Brian