Frederik Ramm <frederik <at> remote.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
>    a very crude statistic:
>
> Country       osm.bz2 size    population    ratio (bytes per capita)

> Finland           20M             5M                4.0

> I suspect that disregarding the coastline (which is included in my
> figures) would probably cost the Scandinavian countries a few ranks in
> this league. Coastline factor doesn't affect larger countries that much
> (but still strange that Italy should have so little - must investigate
> quality of border polygon).

In Finland it lot of bytes are used for lakes and forest roads which are
interpreted from Landsat/Yahoo/OpenAerialMap imagery.  Link
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/WikiProject_Finland
is visualising the situation with highways. Landsat imagery is usable in
sparsely inhabited northern Finland where minory roads can easily be
distinguished from forest. Location accuracy is not very well, about +/- 50
meters, but better than nothing.

People are also eagerly digitizing lakes from Landsat imagery:
http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=65.94&lon=29.747&zoom=10&layers=B0FT

This is almost never ending job, right now no more than 10 per cent of the lakes
have been digitized.