On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 16:57 +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Dave Stubbs
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Well, technically, there are ways of handling this case (the way
> would
> > need duplicating on import, with some clever tag stripping). But
> they
> > aren't pretty, or I think, desirable.
>
> FWIW, I've been planning to implement just that at some point, just
> havn't gotten around to it yet. The biggest problem is that the style
> file needs to contain information like "tag X applies only to
> nodes/ways/areas" and this information simply does not exist.
> Collecting this information is a project in itself.

I did something similar to put the features into multiple tables but I
didn't do any tag filtering. The tag filtering was not important at one
time because there were no common rendering styles shared between linear
and area features. Now some combinations like
highway=pedestrian,area=yes make things things more complicated.

I think you'll get stuck with many tags not falling into any of these
categories, some obvious ones...

* name
* layer
* access
* ref

My personal opinion is that features like a road around an area should
use different ways. When mapping features myself I don't even share the
nodes. I find it much clearer to leave a small gap between the area and
surrounding ways.

        Jon