On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 5:52 PM, Gerald A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 10:40 AM, Dave Stubbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>
>> It's nice to say that the renderer should follow the community, but
>> this does presume the community is moving in one direction. It's also
>> fairly presumptuous that the renderer author has the time or
>> inclination to code, test and deploy, every single community outburst
>> on a particular issue.
>
> I don't think they should follow every outburst, or even several outbursts.
> They should follow the tags eventually, though. And whether the tags get
> added by community discussion or people adding things to the database
> because they like to, if enough people (or tags) get added over a long
> enough period of time, then eventually they'll get rendered.
>>
>>  So frankly renderers can show whatever they like. They don't really
>> have any choice but to follow the tagging conventions being used if
>> they want the best data displayed. But there's no good reason they
>> can't influence the tagging schemes we use, or that we shouldn't take
>> them into account when suggesting wholesale tag changes.
>
> Well, this is a bit of chicken and egg, though. Once a tag has any traction,
> proponents can argue that a new tag will "break renderers", just by virtue
> of being first, rather then addressing the merits (or lack thereof) of the
> tag itself.
> Anyways, it seems that this particular tag (in some renderers) is moot, as
> both the new tag and the old tag are already being rendered. But my original
> point was that discussions about tags should focus on how they impact the
> data, not on how they impact the renderers, which we have no control over.
> Gerald.

OK, lets take this back to the beginning:

"... why aren't we running a bot to perform the changes ?"

That's what I was responding to. People starting to use a new tag
doesn't "break" a renderer as such (it still shows anything it used
to, new stuff might not appear). Bots do break renderers. I'm arguing
against bot changes, not people using barrier=gate, which they are
free to do so. I also said something about making new tag
recommendations that knowingly break existing tagging -- this is
fairly subtle, but not about creating new tags which don't interfere
(which barrier=gate doesn't).

Dave