        From: talk-boun...@openstreetmap.org on behalf of Peter Miller
        Sent: Wed 12/17/2008 2:29 AM
        To: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
        Cc: Talk Openstreetmap
        Subject: [OSM-talk] Is anyone making public transport routing maps
based onOpenStreetMap data?

        On 16 Dec 2008, at 23:30, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:

        > I'm interested in completely mapping my city bus network, it would be
        > great if there was some online routing application that I could go to
        > that could plan my routes. Of course I'd have to provide it with
        > sufficient survey information to do this, which would be part of
        > mapping it obviously.
        >
        > Routing applications based on OSM data also have the opportunity to do
        > inter-network routing. You could step onto a bus in one city, take a
        > rail to another one, inter-city bus to yet another city, then a bus
        > and walk on a footway to your destination. All based on OSM data.

        I am very interested in such an application and have taken some time
        to see what is happening around the world.

        Graphserver seems to be the application of choice for route planning
        and it can work with OSM data and with public transport schedules
        often in a Google Transit format. See the 'Multimodal Shortest Path
        Tree of Bay Are' example in their gallery which uses OSM and google
        transit data:
        http://graphserver.sourceforge.net/gallery.html

        Here is a reference to a public transport route planner that uses OSM
        data and Google Transit but I can't find a deployment.

        "SITI: a multimodal journey planner based on open source software and
        'de facto' standards"

        "Our project demonstrates that this barrier can be overcome from very
        small budgets. We have
        developed a completely open source solution for a multimodal door to
        door public transport
        information system based on several 'de facto' standards and open
        source packages. Our prototype is
        simple and scalable, enabling the deployment of multimodal journey
        planners with a wide range of
        scope, from metropolitan to international coverage.

        First of all, the cartography is based on Openstreetmap (OSM), [snip]

        "We have chosen Google Transit Feed Specification (GTFS) as data
        exchange format for public
        transport information. GTFS is the format developed by Google for its
        multimodal journey planner
        Google Transit. We also have demonstrated how to export the full
        timetable database of a real
        public transport operator like ETM (Empresa de Transport Metropolità
        de València) to GTFS,
        enabling route calculation both from our prototype and from Google
        Transit.

        "The route calculation is performed by Graphserver, an open source
        package distributed under a
        BSD license, written in C and Ruby. We have extensively extended
        Graphserver to improve its
        integration with OSM and GTFS, and to incorporate human readable
        driving directions
        http://year.fehrl.org/?m=3&mode=download&id=321

        I have just found this one, that also uses OSM and Graphserver for a
        community based transit journey planner for Toronto:

        "In fact, almost all the tools we’ve used to build MyTTC are open
        source. The trip planner is based on Brandon Martin-Anderson’s
        excellent graphserver library, using data from both MyTTC and the
        OpenStreetMap project, an open source mapping initiative. Nearly
        everything was written using the powerful and elegant Ruby language
        under merb, along with a host of other open source tools from
        databases to webservers. The open source nature of our tools have
        enabled us to not only customize and improve them, but we’ve also had
        the opportunity to send those improvements back upstream.
        http://metronauts.ca/2008/11/10/myttc/

        Can I suggest that one takes a layering approach to this (as the
        professional transport sector does) and some layers belong in OSM and
        some not...

        Firstly the bus stops (or more generally 'stop 'points) which is where
        one physically accesses the transport system which should be point
        features within OSM.

        Secondly the routes the vehicles take which traveling on the network
        to get from stop point to stop point. In most cases this is obvious,
        but in a limited number of cases one will need to include route points
        that are not stop points. These might use the route relation and
        detail every way that is involved for every route, but this is more
        detail than a route planner needs that can work out most stop to stop
        routing without guidance. Including detailed routing in OSM means that
        it has to be updated every time the schedules change.

        All of the rest of the data can then be in Google Transit Feed
        Specification (an open source data standard controlled by Google) and
        can feed GraphServer or equivalent for route planning. GT is not
        perfect and can't represent complex rail journeys but it is open
        source and there is data available already in it that can be used and
        it is a good starting point:
        http://code.google.com/p/googletransitdatafeed/wiki/PublicFeeds

        I am not sure how one would explicitly refer to the schedules file
        from OSM. Possibly all the stop points in a area would be part of a
        'network' relation that that network relation would refer to the
        external schedules file using a 'schedules' URL.
        http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Network

        I think we can expect some other initiatives in this space soon along
        the lines of openrouteservice and yournavigation.

        What I can't find is a good data entry tool for GTFS for entering and
        checking schedules.

        Would it be useful to create a list for discussion of public transport
        applications within OSM. Could I suggest a title of 'talk-transit' or
        should this conversation be part of the 'talk-routing' list? Including
        PT routing in the talk-routing list might make some sense because
        there is always a walking element to the routing and people interested
        in routing may also be interested in PT routing. I certainly think
        this conversation needs a 'home' that is off the main talk list which
        is too busy already.

        Regards,

        Peter Miller