        From: Jon Burgess [mailto:jburgess...@googlemail.com]
        Sent: Mon 3/2/2009 7:00 PM
        To: ke...@kevinpeat.com
        Cc: Thomas Wood; OSM Talk; Steve Chilton
        Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] odd rendering + county boundaries

        On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 13:00 +0000, Kevin Peat wrote:

        > It's two things....the county boundary shouldn't go up rivers in the
        > first place but also the part of the boundary that follows the coast
        > would be better not being rendered. It seems to me that it must be
        > included in a relation so that the county is an area but would be
        > better
        > not being visible.
        >
        > Kevin

        I discussed this with Steve8 a few days ago on IRC and the plan is to:

        - Hide any boundary rendering on ways with natural=coastline

        - When there is more than one boundary on a given way, only render the
        one with the lowest admin_level. This corresponds to the most important
        boundary.

        It is complicated by the fact that the information has to be
        cross-referenced across multiple objects. This will need some extra
        processing in osm2pgsql to implement and it may be a few weeks before I
        get around to it.

                Jon