John Smith wrote:
> --- On Tue, 28/7/09, MarkS <o...@redcake.co.uk> wrote:
>> We need to be careful about removing tags because it could
>> cause
>> renderers to fail (or at least not work as expected). For
>> example, I
>> think the is_in tag is added after the place name in mkgmap
>> when
>> creating the "city" POIs.
>
> That's fine for existing correct information, what about incorrect or missing
> ones? :)
>
> How's this for consistency, all of these describe various suburbs of Sydney...
>
> is_in = New South Wales,Australia
> name = Surry Hills
> place = suburb
>
> is_in = Australia, NSW, New South Wales, Sydney, Eastern Suburbs
> name = Elizabeth Bay
> place = suburb
> postal_code = 2011
>
> is_in = Australia, NSW, New South Wales, Sydney
> name = Woolloomooloo
> place = suburb
>
> is_in = Australia, NSW, New South Wales, Sydney, Eastern Suburbs, resort towns
> name = Bondi Beach
> place = suburb
>
> is_in = Sydney,New South Wales,Australia
> name = Mascot
> place = suburb

I agree we have a problem and this looks very inconsistent. I like
information to be consistent and held only once. The example shows that
having a field where you can enter almost anything does result in a
variety of inconsistent entries.

I'm not against getting rid of is_in, I just think we need to manage the
change over a fair period of time to give the renderers a chance to
catch up.