>> But never the less I think if 4wd-only is common in that
>> region, why not
>> tag it? The more data, the better. But I'm unsure if the

"The BETTER data, the better". There, I fixed that for you :-)

Remember that data is no good if it's not rendered, and the software
can't be expected to deal with a gazillion different situations. It's
better to keep the data general. So using the "surface=*" tag is a
better approach IMHO  to warn that a road is in a bad shape for ordinary
traffic. Since that tag could also be used for a hiking trail in the
mountains, it is a more general approach that the rendering engines
could more easily deal with.

If 4wd_only is already widely implemented, so be it, but I think the
point above is worth remembering.

Cheers,
Morten