How do you select the people in the working group? You might have dozens of
people interested to do some work, so who would choose the "lucky ones", and
how would it be done without dropping into some popularity contest? Or would
you allow competing working groups working on the same problem? Would the
community be able to participate in the discussion, or would it just be
presented the solution, on which it then has to vote?

Wouldn't that vote still be carried out by some random people who for the most
part wouldn't be knowledgeable on the subject, so if the solution is a bad
one, doesn't it risk approval by people who think "it looks nice to have"
because they don't know better?

Why would just two people in a working group be any better than the current
method where just one person writes down a proposal, and manages the proposal
by himself, influenced by comments on the discussion page? Can you be certain
that those people in the working group are able to study the wider questions?
Can you be certain they're knowledgeable enough?

Would the working group work openly so we can track the work and could bring
their attention to obvious flaws of their solution in the process?

Ben