Am 12.10.2009 01:00, Dave G:
> Hi
>
> It may be a localisation problem or semantics but it appears that
> alpine hut / regular hut / shelter / etc. definitions
> or perceptions vary between countryies as previously stated:
>
>   This is my interpretation of an Alpine Hut -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_hut
> "In the United Kingdom<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom>  and
> Ireland<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland>  the tradition is of
> unwardened "climbing huts" providing fairly rudimentary accommodation"
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bothy
>
> The problem with the is that these definition doesn't fit my situation
> in New Zealand and
> we have a network of over 900 back country huts
>
> An alpine hut in NZ might look more like this:
> http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-stay/backcountry-huts-by-region/west-coast/franz-josef-area/centennial-hut/
> or
> http://alpineguides.co.nz/info/huts/tasman_saddle.htm .... but sorry
> not restaurants!!
>
> My intention with my proposal:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/wilderness_mountain_buildings
> was to create a generic tagging system for buildings, where features
> are tagged/listed, hopefully to avoid the
> localisation problems ie. the "you say potato, I say potaaato" problem ?
>
> cheers.......gerkin

True. In german we say "Schutzhütte" (losely translates as "protection
hut") and the german wikipedia article shows good examples in pictures:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schutzhütte (ignore the one in the lower
right corner). These "shelters" are only used as a protection from bad
weather. You won't voluntarily spend a night there and they won't have
any facilities or even power supply.

Don't you call these "shelter" in English?

Claudius