No matter how good signal you have there is always a chance that the
given position is wrong without limitations. So when talking of a
satellite error of +-5 meters that actually means that with 95%
probability the error is +-5 meters. The possible error in the last 5%
is limitless, and my guess is that you were hitting that last 5%.
(Last week my GPS, which is not a Garmin, placed me on the north pole
+-20 meters for 5 seconds before returning me to a more sane position.
The probability such misreading to appear should be very, very low.)
As Mike wrote, this is more likely to happen under trees, near large
buildings or other obstacles. If you return a third time you should
get a position that is very close to one of the first two.

Konrad