John F. Eldredge wrote:
> The GPS in my car is a Garmin (I don't recall the exact model at the moment).
>  It appears to be much more accurate when the car is in motion than when the
> car is stationary.  If I power the GPS up with the car stationary, the
> location given can be inaccurate by 100 meters or more.  Once the car starts
> to move, the GPS can locate the car within 3 or 4 meters.

    In automotive applications,  GPS Units often use a 'snap to road'
that makes them look a lot more accurate.

    My eTrex Vista HCX has two modes of computing headings:  one of them
is to (i) look at the direction your track is going in and the other is
a (ii) built-in magnetic compass.  If I'm moving,  either in a vehicle
or on foot,  I find (i) more satisfying than (ii).

    The most obnoxious thing about altitude on my eTrex is that I don't
see how to get it to use GPS altitude instead of barometric altitude.
(I know how to pop up a dialog box to ~view~ GPS altitude,  but that's
it.)  Barometric altitude is totally useless if you're inside a
pressurized airplane.  ;-)

    In most situations repeatability is pretty good for me;  I use
tracks for "breadcrumb navigation" all of the time on foot and rarely
see anomalies that cause practical problems.  I circumnavigated the BWI
airport during a layover the other day and got at the the terminal
within 3 minutes of when I thought I would,  using GPS data as the major
input to my mental calculation.

    Now,  I did get lost in the tunnels of the Library of Congress the
day before that...  I just need an inertial guidance system for
situations like that.