2009/11/15 Apollinaris Schoell <ascho...@gmail.com>:
> matching Tiger id's is a very bad idea. you need to compare geometries.
> during edits ways are split, merged copied moved, deleted nodes added node,

Most of these operations are not a problem (except copying a whole way
to somewhere else), the changed geometry is precisely what we want to
detect, so we can't use geometry for matching.

I'm sure it has happened that mappers have incorrectly copied the ID
to some other way but I really hope that are isolated cases.  You
claimed people were afraid to touch the Tiger tags.  I agree with
Anthony that these tags are useless *except* this one tag, the Id *is*
useful, please don't remove it.

Cheers