Ulf Lamping wrote:
> schrieb:

>>> With a gun at their head: "Refuse: After the migration (currently 26th
>>> February 2010), your contributions will not be included in ODbL licensed
>>> downloads and you will not be able to continue contributing.".
>>
>> My understanding is that after all contributors have been invited to
>> agree to relicensing the board will make a decision about whether to
>> go ahead which will obviously have to take into account the proportion
>> of contributors who have agreed to relicense.
>
> So translated: If you do not agree to what the OSMF wants, the OSMF will
> remove the data that you have collected over the last years. Maybe there
> are too many not willing to change, then we have to talk again.

No, I don't think that is a fair representation. Yes, the motion that
will be proposed is "Do you agree to relicense to ODbL under the
contributor terms", but to say you have no "power" in this vote is
incorrect. In fact you have way more influence than in any normal vote,
as the vote has to be close to unanimous as otherwise there will be far
to much data loss as that the change will go ahead. Please trust the
OSMF board that they have the best intent for the OSM data and will I am
sure thus not allow that anywhere close to half of the data will get
deleted. So the power of the no sayers is way bigger than in any normal
vote!

This initial vote of the OSMF is as I would see it an initial straw pole
to see if in at least this group of OSMers we can get sufficient support
to make it work before asking ten thousands of people if they would
agree to a license change. After that is still the real vote for or
against going ODbL.

This is the same as in any other process, where a few dedicated and very
capable people spend years of hard work trying to find the best
compromise with everyone else  being able to give input and feedback
through out the whole process which is taken into consideration. At the
end of this process there is a vote, do you agree or not. This seems
like the most reasonable process and the only one that has a chance to
get any decision made in a 100 thousand strong community with very
diverse interests.

> Don't you see that this is a complete inappropriate way to deal with an
> open community?

No, as the previous process has always been pretty open with discussions
on talk, legal-talk, the wiki and some of the mailing lists. How much
more open do you want it to be with out spamming 150000 people who are
mostly not interested in the process of the license on every little detail?

> Regards, ULFL

Kai