On Feb 21, 2010, at 1:19 AM, Tom Hughes wrote:

> On 21/02/10 07:38, SteveC wrote:
>
>> 2) We have to be very clear that the openstreetmap.org website is _awful_.
>> Horrendous. A total PITA. We're all here because we're persistent with it.
>> But the wonderful thing is - we don't have to make the tools and site easy
>> to use if we can expose a simple bug system. It's very clear that nobody can
>> convince Richard to actually write something any muggle would really want to
>> use, you can scream at him to finish the mythical Potlatch 2 all you want,
>> but he doesn't give a shit and lives on a boat in bliss. That's his choice,
>> and it's totally fine, but if we all feel that way then we have to deal with
>> the downside that every single day we lose tens of thousands of edits
>> because of that monopoly on bad UI. All I'm suggesting is we sidestep the
>> problem and connect people who can report a map bug but can't be bothered to
>> deal with pain and suffering of potlatch with the people who can deal with
>> it, at least until Richard gets his act together and stops fixing every
>> stupid thing
> in the old codebase. You have to take a step back here and realise what we're
> missing out on.
>
> Oh for crying out loud Steve, do you have to be such a complete shit all the
> time? I honestly wouldn't blame Richard if he deleted all his code and walked
> off into the sunset and we never saw him again after that pointless little
> diatribe. I do help it made you feel better.

And I, Tom, would feel fine leaving too after you pissed all over the design
work in OGD comments I got done yesterday because I didn't ask your express
permission.

I think it's a totally valid criticism to say potlatch 1 feels like windows
3.0, there's potlatch 2 that's been sitting around forever, and it's a million
times better, and if it's not going to ever get finished we need to look at
other ways to allow people to contribute to the map.

Yours &c.

Steve