john whelan wrote:
> Yes but a problem with Flash is it is a major security hole.

My considered opinion on that theory is "bollocks".

It's a frickin' browser plugin, if the browser is letting it access your
l337 credit card details then the browser probably ought to address its
plugin architecture. Badly written Flash may crash my browser but it has
not yet sent my credit card details to Tajikistan. And even Potlatch
doesn't crash it, so it must have to be _really_ badly written to cause
a problem. ;)

 > It's probably the major source of Malware in Windows

Yeah. The major source of drowning in the Atlantic Ocean is water. BAN
water!!11!11o...@wtflolccbysa

Aevar Arnfjorth Bjarmason wrote:
> Making their player open source would be nice. But what's mainly
> stopping players like Gnash is that their protocols are closed

The SWF and RTMP formats are published. The codecs aren't, but that's
the whole Ogg Theora/H264 argument for HTML5 and Firefox so not at all
exclusive to Flash. And unless your translation code is cleverer than I
thought, they're irrelevant to Potlatch (which is kinda the reason I
posted here).

The main thing stopping Gnash from supporting AVM2 (and strk can correct
me if I'm wrong) is that it's a whole big lot of work and there's
largely only one developer working on it - even though he's basically a
genius and Potlatch 1 would never have happened without his work on
Ming. If you threw 100 programmers at Gnash for three months then you'd
have an open source (non-audio/video) AVM2 player.

strk shouldn't have to spend his time rewriting code that Adobe has
already written. Sun made Java open-source. Flash is a direct parallel.
I would encourage people not to get hung up on codecs (because Flash has
already lost the video battle, all video will be HTML5 in two years) and
encourage Adobe to Do The Right Thing, for the benefit of apps like
Potlatch and a million others.

cheers
Richard