Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> Adobe has explicitly said in the past that they can't open source it
> because they've used a lot of parts in in that they've licensed from
> somewhere else.

http://www.adobe.com/de/products/eula/third_party/flashplayer/

Pretty much all the "all rights reserved" stuff is codecs. Like I say,
video is moving to HTML5 anyway and shouldn't distract from the wider
Flash Player.

 > Anyway. Good luck with the petition. Personally I think it's about as
 > likely to succeed as an equivalent petition asking Microsoft to open
 > source Windows. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

I would hope it's about as likely to succeed as an equivalent petition
asking Sun to open-source Java. :)

cheers
Richard