Am 30.05.2010 22:00, Stan Berka:
> Since I'm using Potlatch to edit the map, I start the tagging of a
> walking path/road etc. by selecting the presets for the "walking man".
> Then, I select by the surface and permissibility, which for a peds only,
> gravel, 4ft wide public path ends up as higway=track and surface=gravel.
> But isn't highway=footway the preferred tagging for this?

highway=track is for ways that are wide enough to be *potentially* used
by a 4 wheel vehicle. If it's that wide and has tracks than you should
tag it liek that. If legally only pedestrians are allowed add "vehicle=no".
If it's a pedestrian footway in urban surroundings I would use
highway=footway, if it's a rural hiking/walking trail I would prefer
highway=path + foot=yes

You see: Endless tagging opportunities :)

Claudius