From: Mrtin Koppenhoefer dieterdre...@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 15:42:28
To: Claudius<claudiu...@gmx.de>
Cc: <talk@openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Highway=footway or highway=track for peds only on
        gravel

2010/5/31 Claudius <claudiu...@gmx.de>:
> highway=track is for ways that are wide enough to be *potentially* used
> by a 4 wheel vehicle.

+1

> If it's that wide and has tracks than you should
> tag it liek that. If legally only pedestrians are allowed add "vehicle=no".

actually the case which is IMHO more difficult to decide is when the
access is physically restricted by heavy obstacles (massive rock
pieces, etc.). I tend not to use track in these cases nonetheless the
width would fit, but often you cannot check all possible ways to go to
this specific point (e.g. it could be that the road is blocked there
by a heavy stone block but you could arrive from the other side).

cheers,
Martin