Andy Allan wrote:
On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 5:19 PM, SteveC<st...@asklater.com>  wrote:

What are your ideas? How should we block people? For how long? What process
should it be? What are the best practices from other projects you're involved
in?
I think this is a great topic, and its nice to see it properly aired.
I'm certainly in the "getting disillusioned" camp - not with the wider
project, but in our inability to deal with the malcontents and
disruptors, on the mailing lists, on the wiki, and in the database. I
keep finding myself considering other projects where things are,
y'know, a bit more enjoyable.

 From my point of view we lack most of the building blocks to make
moderation like this work. We lack accepted written guidelines in
almost everything we do. What's a suitable topic for the newbies
mailing list? How many nodes are too many on a roundabout? Should I
post a question on help.openstreetmap.org and then argue with the
answers? Why shouldn't I change all these tags? Who deals with revert
wars on the wiki? Or agenda pushing in general? And so on. Without
these guidelines, even well-meaning people can't properly self-police.

I'd recommend the Art of Community for anyone interested in this.
http://www.artofcommunityonline.org - it's exactly what we need to
have people thinking about. What we do need to avoid though is
bureacracy - I'd be quite happy to nominate a few people to write all
the guidelines and have their word as law, rather than creating
committees or suchlike.

Thank you for good reference. In order to make consensus,
it will be better to start from drafting something in general.
I think this is great topic and I may be need to share it
with our local member who don't join talk ML.

Hiroshi
OSM Japan