From: 80n [80n...@gmail.com]
Sent: 25 August 2011 20:34
To: Jim Brown
Cc: talk@openstreetmap.org; Ed Avis
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] [Osmf-talk] Membership applications from Skobbler
employees

>The OSMF had an obligation, under the UK data protection laws, to preserve the
>confidentiality of >personal information.  It would have been a breach of
>confidence to make it public at the time.

Not so.

UK Data Protection laws exist to safeguard 'personal' data. Saying that ' there
has been a large number of applications for OSMF membership by people who
appear to be employees of Apple ' for instance, is perfectly in order - you are
not releasing any 'personal data' UNLESS you also released, say, email
addresses and names of the people, which can personally identify them, perhaps
to back up your assertion.

Phillip

Obligatory disclaimers :
IANAL, but I have read the Data Protection Act. (Which is commonly misused by
people who haven't read it)

All my opinions are my own, and are not necessarily shared by my employers.

Please Note:

Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of Independent Television News Limited unless specifically
stated. This email and any files attached are confidential and intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you
have received this email in error, please notify postmas...@itn.co.uk

Please note that to ensure regulatory compliance and for the protection of our
clients and business, we may monitor and read messages sent to and from our
systems.

Thank You.