Pawel,

On 08.01.2013 20:20, Paweł Paprota wrote:
Sure, that's always good but note that another thread about OSM's future
ends in basically no conclusion. Or rather the conclusion seems to be
that all is fine and the future is secured with the current approach.

You are a software engineer. You have spent 6 months on the Rails port and you say that you find it a very complex piece of work where you can't just easily "throw in" something, and it requires a lot of effort to make things work.

Opinions may be divided on that but let's take it at face value for a moment and agree with your professional judgement: It *is* a complex thing, and making a change to it does require considerable effort.

I would like to ask you to apply this engineer's sense of a complex system to the OSM(F) community/ecosystem/project for a moment. There are many people from many backgrounds with many different visions for the future of OSM; people from different countries, people who have lived through different systems of government, people who are new to OSM or those who remember surveying major roads with their first generation eTrex GPS, anarchists and die-hard open source anti-business people as well as commercial users of OSM. People with hopes and wishes and dreams and experiences, people who have made huge investments in OSM, social bonds that have formed (and I'm not talking of the "friend" flag in the database); reputations have been built or destroyed, local hierarchies have formed, people have achieved fame or, very occasionally, been driven out in shame. Very few rules have been written down but many do exist in a kind of "collective memory".

This project is a hugely complex, large, living organism. And you *can* work on it, you can develop ideas for the future, have them tested, campaign for them, get people to agree. You can do political work in OSM. But just as with the complex rails port (where you'll have to familiarize yourself with it for a while before you can even write a meaningful line of code, and even then experienced coders might still tell you that you accidentally broke something that was there for a purpose; where having an idea about what you'd like to happen is only the beginning of a lot of work to actually make that happen), making an idea fly in OSM is hard work.

You are giving up too early; you cannot expect to productively discuss the future of such a complex organism within a few days in a few messages on a mailing list. It is a process, and it requires long-term commitment to get anything done.

As I mentioned in another post, the idea that there needs to be some sort of strategic planning is of course not new, and I have also listed a few of the common reservations against such planning ("white-haired guys with no clue of OSM tell us what we should be doing to be successful in 2020"). Finding out how to do strategic planning in a project like ours, and do it in a way that is acceptable to the project, is difficult, and requires finding answers to many questions. When I listed these questions in a response to Jeff, he said:

"All of these arguments just sound like the lack of an answer means that inaction is the answer."

When in fact I only wanted to demonstrate just how complex the situation is and that it takes a lot of work and the right ideas to get *anywhere*, and that there are no easy answers.

I'm sure there are many ways to deal with this. Some - among them Steve, the founder of OSM - find the idea of installing authority attractive. Simply give someone the power to "decide things", to "lead", and then that person or group of persons will cut through all the Goridan knots and rescue us. It is a valid model but I don't subscribe to it.

My idea of dealing with this complex situation is to:

* first establish who has the power to make decisions (preliminary answer: the OSMF, for a certain range of problems that still need to be defined, within certain "constitutional" boundaries that still need to be defined, and provided that the OSMF membership is more representative of the project than it is now - from this comes the to-do item of taking measures to grow membership)

* second, provide better mechanisms for those who rule OSMF (i.e. the OSMF members) to actually form an opinion and agree on it (preliminary plan: needs something more than plain voting, liquidfeedback.org anyone?, also needs much more transparency than we have now)

* third, once such a reliable system is in place, use it to make decisions.

I am working on that but needless to say this involves a lot, and when I was elected to the OSMF board in September I was at first distracted by other things that I felt required more immediate attention.

I can see how all this may look like nothing ever happens; someone who just wanted to buy time to hide the fact that they're not doing anything would probably say the same things ("uh, yes, but this all takes time..."). It is possible that there is a totally different approach to "everything" that works much better than the course I'm pursuing. For example, it is possible that before OSMF has matured to a point where it can sensibly do strategic planning, a couple of strong local chapters who are leaner and meaner and better funded have already made most of the decisions for themselves and don't even need granny OSMF anymore. Who knows.

I know that I often sound like I was only here to put on the brakes. I remember when I was young and my parents used to do that - I had a great idea and they told me that it'll take a year and that was the end of it, they had killed the fun. Even today, even in OSM, I get my own fun killed often enough.

From my perspective, I'm just being realistic and cautious. I'm sorry if that occasionally kills the fun.

Bye
Frederik