I had the same problem till Federal Circle back in October (also it was
1:00AM and I had to pick-up a friend arriving at a different terminal
around the same time, so the whole inter-terminal bus ride made quite an
story), but from there on the AirTrain was working to Howard Beach and the
only surprise was the every station stopping "express" trains at that time
of the night (not bad since I was going to a "local" station).

Jamaica is still fine (actually that's the way I did it the first time I
went to NYC), but I definitely prefer Howard Beach and the A train. As long
as everything is working ;)

Julio Costa Zambelli
FundaciĆ³n OpenStreetMap Chile

julio.co...@openstreetmap.cl