Andy,

I am a frugal traveller so I have always used the subway to/from JFK. From
any Airport terminal you take the Airtrain to "Howard Beach" (NOT Jamaica),
once there you only have A trains and you have to take one towards
Manhattan. You get off the train in the 14th Street station (it should be a
long trip, a little longer if its late night since the train will stop at
every station at that time of the day). From the station you walk a few
meters south to Jackson Square and then left (East) on West 13th Street (on
the Starbucks according to our map:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/40.73925/-74.00224) until you cross
7th Avenue.

To get to the UN Headquarters probably the easiest way is to walk to the
Union Square Station (three blocks away to the East) take the train 4 or 5
(Express) towards Bronx and get off the train in Grand Central 42nd Street
station and walk a few blocks East (until you reach the river ;)

If you combine http://web.mta.info/maps/submap.html and OSM it should be
quite easy. I do it that way every time.

Cheers,

Julio Costa Zambelli
FundaciĆ³n OpenStreetMap Chile

julio.co...@openstreetmap.cl