It's nice to know where this is coming from, because I was a bit confused
about this too. In what way is my privacy protected if 2 million people can
see my profile; oh and also everyone who bothers to make an OSM account?
Putting a somewhat pointless access limitation to HDYC is
counterproductive, as it might give people a false sense of security. One
thing it might add is that it's now easier to trace who has been looking at
your profile in case there is a suspicion of abuse.

Pascal's own argument (on Twitter) seemed to be that "it"s not just data,
it's computed intelligence". Well yes. HDYC shows how much info you release
about yourself through your OSM edits. The only way to solve this, is with
a behavior change of the mapper themselves, or with a radically different
way to share OSM data (as seems to be one of the ideas in the linked
discussion). For example by using multiple accounts. A blog post about what
an ill-intentioned analyst could do with your data would seem more
productive than a half-measure protecting what a well-intentioned analyst
learns. A more general discussion like the one you linked, but in a
language more of us understand, might also help.

That said, obviously HDYC is the most elaborate individual analysis tool
around, so it does make snooping very easy. A system to opt-out of being
included in this particular system might be reasonable. This could
technically work in a way similar to the opt-in you can do to link your
HDYC profile to your osm-related profiles (by including links in your OSM
profile).
While I would also have liked to see a more inclusive discussion about
this, ultimately, it doesn't matter where and how Pascal came to his
conclusion. It is his tool, so the decision is his alone. I would really
love to see tools like this integrated into the core OSM systems, where we
would theoretically all have a say. Unfortunately, that's not the case.