On Thursday 12 October 2017, Ryszard Mikke wrote:

> * How many of the wikidata=* tags currently in the database have been
>
> > added through normal mapping (while adding or significantly
> > modifying the object otherwise) and how many have been added
> > through systematic efforts outside normal mapping?
>
> Given that semi-automated edits might be done by unknown number of
> users, i'm afraid this information might be hard to obtain.

If it was easy to determine i would not have asked.

> > * What practical applications exist for the wikidata IDs?  And i am
> > not talking about theoretical ideas here but specific uses for
> > practical purposes in actual use, in particular with open source
> > implementation.
>
> There are QA tools by Yuri Astrakhan and Mateusz Konieczny, both
> based on wikidata.

As i have pointed out elsewhere doing QA in OSM based on Wikidata does
not in any way depend on the automatic addition of Wikidata IDs to
OSM - or in other words: Any ID you'd add based on some matching
algorithm just for QA purposes you would not need to add at all.

With practical applications i was referring to actual external use of
the data.  If the only practical use of the wikidata IDs is internal QA
that would be a pretty bad ROI in terms of Mapper's work (the time
adding IDs would be much better invested into doing actual validation
work).

> > * To what extent has there been information transferred
> > systematically from Wikidata and Wikipedia to OSM based on wikidata
> > ID references (like adding names in different languages).  As
> > others have explained this would be legally problematic and it
> > would be important to know how common this is.
>
> To my knowledge nothing automatic of this kind exists so far, so
> there should be only a few manual edits of this kind.

Yesterday i showed examples of systematic node and name tag additions to
OSM clearly sourced from Wikidata.  It is clear that this is happening.
The question is only how extensive such data transfer is.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/