On 15.08.2018 20:49, Tomasz Wójcik wrote:
> Currently, barrier=block is not allowed to be mapped as an area. As
> blocks can be big enough to map them as areas, I think it should be
> allowed, the same as in barrier=wall or barrier=hedge.

For routing purposes, barriers are usually connected to the highway=*
way somehow. When barriers are mapped as nodes, this is achieved by
tagging one of the way's nodes with the barrier tags.

How would we do this for barrier=block mapped as areas?

Note that the block(s) will not always be exactly on the centerline of
the highway, so we may not be able to even share a node between the area
outline and the highway way if we want to accurately represent the area
covered by the block. Due to this, I see no easy solution to map blocks
as areas while still making them topologically part of the routing network.