22. Oct 2018 15:51 by yuriastrak...@gmail.com <mailto:yuriastrak...@gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 8:22 AM Mateusz Konieczny <> matkoni...@tutanota.com
> <mailto:matkoni...@tutanota.com>> > wrote:
>

>>> I think a country relation should describe how the specific country think
>>> of its borders. So if two countries claim the same territory, those two
>>> relations will overlap.
>>
>> That is absurd and conflict with OSM rule to map what exists.
>>

> On the contrary, it actually matches OSM rules better than deciding yourself.
>  When drawing a city outline, you go to that city's government, and get the
> geoshape from them.

> By extension, if you draw a country, you should use that country's
> definition.

I strongly disagree, we map reality. When I map a business I map what exists
there, not

what the owner claims to be existing. When I map road I map what exists not
what is

supposed to exist there according to official sources.

When I map the border of a country I map line of control, not an official claim
of the country.

Maybe "officially claimed border of country" is also mappable but it would not
be marked as

a border.

> By extension, if you draw a country, you should use that country's
> definition.

I also disagree as for when it comes to making maps. I see no reason why I
should be

obligated by official claims by specific country. I may follow them in some
cases but

it is often undesirable or harmful.

> If two country's definitions happen to overlap, we ought to document both.

I am not sure whatever we should map border claims.

>>> So when I generate a map for Russia, I have to show Crimea as part of
>>> Russia.  For Ukraine - as part of Ukraine.  Same for China and India and ...
>>
>> There are also other sources of data. For example to show proper terrain
>> shape or to show ratings of restaurants and for many others use cases OSM is
>> not sufficient.
>>
> The argument "it doesn't work for X, therefor we shouldn't make it work for
> Y" is puzzling.

No, I was just reminding that OSM is not for all and every geographical data.

I am not sure whatever border claims are one of these cases.