Yuri Astrakhan <yuriastrak...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 8:22 AM Mateusz Konieczny <matkoni...@tutanota.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I think a country relation should describe how the specific country think
>> of its borders. So if two countries claim the same territory, those two
>> relations will overlap.
>>
>> That is absurd and conflict with OSM rule to map what exists.
>>
> On the contrary, it actually matches OSM rules better than deciding
> yourself.  When drawing a city outline, you go to that city's government,
> and get the geoshape from them. By extension, if you draw a country, you
> should use that country's definition.  If two country's definitions happen
> to overlap, we ought to document both.

Yes, we use government data to draw boundaries sometimes.  When there
are no disputes, and the boundaries from many sources all line up, and
mappers can see on the ground the markers and signs and it's all
consistent, this is perfectly fine.

The situation of a country claiming territory that is does not
physically control is entirely different.