On 12/03/2020 13:09, john whelan wrote:
I'm seeing a fair number of settlements with this fixme tagged on them and I'm not sure what the logic is.

There are 39k "fixme=name" worldwide.  I suspect usage varies greatly worldwide; it would be useful to know which ones you're looking at.

The nearest few to me (at https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/Rxh , for info) seem to be either "name from one source disagrees with name from another source, needs more investigation" or "name was copied from an out-of-copyright map and is probably rubbish".

I would have thought it is fairly simple to search for place=village without a name tag or am I missing something?

It depends.  I'm guessing based on your previous list discussions, but perhaps someone's been remotely mapping areas that HOT or similar projects have an interest in, have identified a settlement from imagery but (obviously) do not know its name?

Adding "fixme=name" doesn't add any value when the "name" tag is missing. as everyone can see that the name tag is missing.  Also, adding 1000s of new fixmes to an area (that add no value) will overwhelm the existing ones that aren't obvious (and I'm speaking as someone who regularly looks at local fixmes when out and about).  That said, I wouldn't mass-delete such fixmes either as you don't know what workflows people are using locally to try and correct these.

With regard to searching, if someone is searching for a village by name then clearly they won't find it if it is unnamed, regardless of the search method.

Best Regards,

Andy