Mar.12 2020 12 h 16 UTC−4, Volker Schmidt wrote :
> It may have been a user who wanted to draw attention to the fact that she has
> inserted a place>  without knowing the name.
 For the Mali example given by John, an Overpass query reports some 1,200 such
points north of Mali, the majority added in 2013. Note that I did coordinate
the humanitarian response at the time with Andrew Buck. See his message at the
time https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/2013-February/002802.html

These names were added for the Mali humanitarian response in 2013 at the
request of UN agencies and NGO's answering in the area.  If we remember, we did
innovate at the time using Imagery tiles to spot villages in often flooded
areas, then traced roads from these villages. Then NGIS data was imported.
Since geolocation is often very imprecise, we did manually add these infos
placing them at the best of our knowledge.
The local ressources are still quite limited in Mali even at the government
level.  The OSM volunteer community has organized a few missions in the south
to revise names but it is more difficult to deal with the northern area.  And
badly, the volunteers do not manage the subsidies that were received from such
humanitarian actions.

Pierre