Hi

I don't use iD editor much, but I've just discovered it auto-converts closed polygons which are split (Shortcut Key = X) into MP relations.

I'm struggling to comprehend a logical reason for this. Is there one? If there's been a previous discussion which I've missed please post a link.

There's a couple of threads on iD's github issues, bhousel closed them with "wontfix - I Saw A Thing I Didn't Like (but is valid in OSM).

It may be valid, but is it desirable or helpful? I split closed ways, in P2, for various reasons without wanting them to be converted. How many newbies would even know what a MP relation is?

Having them as as split tagged ways is just as "valid". More so, considering splitting long ways is desirable.

DaveF