Ali Martin wrote:

SNIP
> . . ."The surgery went OK, and he/she should do fine", as being
> adequate information at the time. They expect a more in depth
> explanation of the findings and the implications etc. They expect it
> then and there. See what I'm getting at? I have to do that, explaining
> the same things, day in and day out.

SNIP

Ali,

In considering this thread, there is a real difference between trying to
explain to a patient and their relatives why a surgery should happen and
how it went, and handling many of the repetitive questions that arrive
at support lines.  People do not arrive with user's manuals and
documentation.  Hardware and software ought to, and for sure ISPs need a
phone line that can help when someone simply can't log in.  The problem
is that much documentation is so opaquely written that a "user" can't
make head or tail of it.  Often the issue will be addressed but the
doucmentation and help is so poorly cross indexed that even a
knowledgeable user may wind up asking for help on what should be a
beginner-level problem.  Technical help is often in the unenviable
position of having to make up for the inadequacies of both the user and
the individual who composed the documentation.  The rudeness should not
happen, but is understandable.

JWDougherty