Guy Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

>> Now fire up a browser on .7 ... and I see nothing at all.
>
> What happens if you just run "tcpdump" with no arguments?
>
>>  root # tcpdump host 192.168.0.4
>> tcpdump: listening on eth0
>> 14:47:42.738413 arp who-has fw.local.lan tell satellite.local.lan
>>
>> Fire up lynx and browse a little, but all I see is the line above
>
> Try "tcpdump" with no arguments.

In both cases I get zip.  I see traffic come across but none from
192.168.0.4   (running tcpdump on .7)

I see all kinds of traffic from some of the other machines so
something is right but not from 192.168.0.4.

And it is definitely hooked into the same hub where I see this and
lots of other stuff from):
18:20:58.934952 www.google.com.http >chub.local.lan.2984: \
P 1461:1497(36) ack 275 win 32120 (DF

chub.local.lan is 192.168.0.2 (a win2k box)

And of course scads of traffic on 192.168.0.5 itself (where tcpdump
is running)

Started a ping of nearby university from 192.168.0.4 and let it run a
while (2minutes) in case it was somekind of buffering thing.  I see
spurts of other traffic from other machines but not 192.168.0.4.

I'm kind of stumped here... I fear it is something stupid here, but
kind find it.  traced the ethernet wire so that there is absolutely no
doubt it goes directly to the same Hub as 192.168.0.5,  and a single
wire from that hub is connecting them all to the router.

So I now have

           Internet

         dsl modem

       dsl/router/switch (.1)

 _____NEW SIMPLE 8 port hub______
mach2  m3    m4   m5    m7    m9

            Tcp dump running here

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?body=unsubscribe