On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 06:32:34PM -0700, Harry Putnam wrote:
> So I now have
>
>            Internet
>          dsl modem
>        dsl/router/switch (.1)
>  _____NEW SIMPLE 8 port hub______
>  |      |     |    |     |     |
> mach2  m3    m4   m5    m7    m9
>             Tcp dump running here

So, in that configuration, you run tcpdump on m5, and:

        you can see TCP traffic (such as HTTP traffic) between some
        other machine on that hub ("other" as in "not m5") and the
        Internet

but

        you can't see traffic other than ARPs (which are presumably
        broadcast packets) from 192.168.0.4?

If so, that's bizarre, and I have absolutely no clue why that would be
happening.  About the only thing I can suggest is that you try plugging
192.168.0.4 into the port that the machine whose traffic you *did* see
was plugged into.  If that lets you see traffic between that machine and
the Internet, there's something wrong with a port on the hub.  If that
doesn't let you see traffic between that machine and the Internet, I'm
completely out of ideas.
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?body=unsubscribe