Luke S Crawford wrote:
> Brian Mathis <brian.mat...@gmail.com> writes:
>

>> I am using Avocent KVM over IP and it works just fine.  I am using it
>> to access text-mode Linux consoles and a few Windows servers.
>> Sometimes the mouse doesn't sync up, but that's the nature of how
>> these things work.  I think the people who complain about them somehow
>> expect them to work exactly as if they are sitting at the physical
>> console, which will never be the case.
>>

> Yes, this is what I'm trying to say.  KVM over IP can never be expected to
> be as good as sitting in front of the box, the roar of the data center cooling
> system slowly driving you mad.  Except the thing is, a serial console is
> /better/ than actually sitting at the console, because I have logging and
> other capabilities. A KVM over IP is /worse/  than sitting at the console.
>
> Of course, if you are running windows or otherwise need a out of band GUI,
> then yes, you must put up with the quirks of a KVM over IP.  I'm just saying,
> if all you need is a text console, plain serial is by far superior.

 If you've got a decent, embedded KVM you can do a lot of things that
you simply cannot do with a serial or even in front of the machine
including:
* Viewing stats from FRUs like fan and CPU temperatures
* Forwarding alarms from same into your event management system
* multiple levels of permission for accessing different components
* capabilities for upgrading BIOS and or BMC when it needs it
* ability to access a virtual CD drive either from an ISO image on your
local machine or even possibly from some other machine on the network.
(if your machine has a local DVD/CD you only get a partial subset of
this capability.)
* ability to see graphical things that might show up on the console
(possibly more important if your box is windows - based)
* ability to view system event log related to FRUs and other hardware
components.

What you don't get from a serial console that you do get from sitting in
front of the machine.
* reset/power cycle of machine