Luke S Crawford wrote:
> sky...@cs.earlham.edu writes:
>

>> OSHA and likely your state's labor department regulate the maximum noise
>> level a worker can be exposed to without protection. You ought to be able
>> to get your employer to provide you either ear plugs or something more
>> permanent.
>>

> I've got earplugs and I offer 'em to everyone but nobody uses them.
> Not that I blame them, I don't use them myself, and I probably do 90% of
> the colo monkey work by myself.
>
> The other day at the hardware store I noticed noise dampening headphones;
> they looked like the enclosed ear protectors and claimed 27Dbi protection,
> but they had a line in where you could plug in your MP3 player.  I should
> give something like that a go.

I love my Bose noise canceling headphones. Flip the power on, and you
can hear the noisiest frequencies damping out. It doesn't totally
eliminate everything, but I can no longer tell whether the air
conditioner is on or not. Also, I've had tinnitus for years, so even if
it was totally silent, I wouldn't be able to tell. Classical music sure
beats 4 sun servers, a disk array, an air conditioner, and 2 Macs, all
within 6 feet of me.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-