fOn Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 12:03:19PM -0500, Amit Kulkarni wrote:

> Hi Otto,
>
> fsck -p is not possible to do in multi-user because of
>
> # fsck -p /extra
> NO WRITE ACCESS
> /dev/rwd0m: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck_ffs MANUALLY.

Of course. What's the point of checking a mounted filesystem.

> I haven't checked but it probably wants to do it single user when all
> fs are unmounted. And it would work when fs are unclean shutdown.
>
> I applied art@ diff and the exact same partition (which I newfs'd with
> the original defaults -b 16K -f 2K), went through fsck within 1 minute
> (I copied original /sbin/fsck_ffs to /sbin/ofsck_ffs). I have enabled
> bigmem, and his diff is absolutely needed for fast fsck.
>
> Thank you Arthur and the team for a very fast turnaround! Thank you
> for reducing the pain. I will schedule a fsck every month or so,
> knowing it won't screw up anything and be done really quick.
>
> So with the information presented in this thread, fsck shouldn't be a
> problem for anybody anymore. That is, increasing data block size (say
> for Postgres or for Virtual images or family videos) and checking only
> used inodes.
>
> Thanks,
> amit

I should say thanks for pointing at the optimization.

What I don't like is that you never have given details (even when
requested) on your extremely slow original fsck which started this
thread. The last couple of years I tested fsck on many different
setups, but I never saw fsck times of 4 hours and not even finished.
So there's something special about your setup. It's likely that bigmem
plays a role, but you only mention it now. That's not the way to do
proper problem anlysis.

And jumping up and down after a first successful test is not a sound
engineering principle either.

        -Otto