Hi,

I am replying in a single email.

I do a fsck once in a while, not regular. In the last 6-8 months I
might have done it about 5 times. And I did it multi-user the few
times I did it, but plan on doing it single user in future and I do
plan to do it monthly. After seeing the messages when you fsck, it is
better to do it monthly. FreeBSD which is the origin of FFS does a
background fsck, and if Kirk McCusick feels so strongly I will do it
too. (I remember somebody talking about having background fsck here on
a openbsd list, but I forgot who it was).

FS code in OpenBSD is mature and appears to be better than on FreeBSD.
Linux has a problem with fsync() on ext3 (maybe even ext4), that is
why they do it so often. I read that they go for more speed and pay
less attention to data integrity. I was new to OpenBSD since about 6-8
months, so I will try it out. I don't have anything important on that
OpenBSD machine, everything is backed up safely. Once I am fully
satisfied I won't do it monthly, maybe less or most likely never. I
will be experimenting with fsck since that new code change by Otto at
least for the next few months. You guys know the limits and
capabilities. So *you* don't, some others might or might not. But I am
learning and wanting to be on a stable virus free, trojan free,
crapware free machine. The choice for me is one of the BSD's. What is
a new guy to know?

Thanks,
amit