On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 01:45:36PM -0500, Amit Kulkarni wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am replying in a single email.
>
> I do a fsck once in a while, not regular. In the last 6-8 months I
> might have done it about 5 times. And I did it multi-user the few
> times I did it, but plan on doing it single user in future and I do
> plan to do it monthly. After seeing the messages when you fsck, it is
> better to do it monthly. FreeBSD which is the origin of FFS does a
> background fsck, and if Kirk McCusick feels so strongly I will do it
> too. (I remember somebody talking about having background fsck here on
> a openbsd list, but I forgot who it was).

Couple of misconceptions here.

1. A fsck on a rw mounted filesystem does not give ANY useful
information. You can have both false positives and false negatives.

2. FFS didn't originate form FreeBSD. It was originally released in
BSD 4.2, and further development continued --until this day-- in all
BSD derivatives. Of course major work has been done by McCusick in
FreeBSD.

On a side note, background fsck isn't exactly the holy grail. See for
eample
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2010-July/008955.html

Even McKusick says that isn't enough to depend on it, and a regular
fsck is needed afterwards.

Note the background fscks are only run on filesystems that were
unclean on boot.

        -Otto