Honestly, anyone who gets one of these should say no

what would you all think if people quietly took derived works of software
licensed under one license and took silence as assent to relicense

Does this mean that with an unanswered email i can now release my re
licensed as ISC version of gcc?  or the linux kernel?

This sort of action just means that any software you write can be
plagiarized against your will if you did not find out about it in time.

thats really not cool

If you write software this is not a world you want to live in.   Even if it
does mean a anyone who can fork a github repo could get rid of the GPL
after a period of non response from an author (dont go on vacation). As
much as I might not agree with the GPL personally, I respect someones right
to release thier work under a license and have it respected. without having
to constantly answer emails and click web links telling people no