On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 02:54:22AM +0200, Don Simons wrote:

> I've been avoiding facing up to the possibility of entering info in the
> transposed key, let alone working out how to get MIDI to deal with it. I have
> vague notions of somehow internally doing a reverse transposition. This will
> take longer to work out.

At the syntax level it's easy to dream up something logical:

K[+/-][trans amt.][+/-][new key]
    applies to the whole score
Ki[instrument #][+/-][trans amt.][+/-][new key]
    applies to this instrument, overriding whole score
KIi[instrument #][+/-][trans amt.]
    applies to this instrument's MIDI output (default: no transposition)
KSi[instrument #][+/-][sharps/flats]
    instrument-specific key signature, overriding isig
    needed at start of score since transposing 0 semitones will print the
    old and new key signatures.

Those terrible piano pieces (Scriabin? Rachmaninov? I forget) that notate
the two hands in different keys will have to be notated as one instrument
per hand :-)  Didn't the formidable Serge occasionally write piano music
on three staves, or is that only the poor editor's attempt at making it
playable for people with normal hands?

Dirk
Dirk