Speaking as someone who uses ABC-Plus notation extensively, I say "Yes, we
do need something like Panmus"

As a Win-Numpty I find MusiXTeX to be cumbersome and difficult to set up,
and equally cumbersome to use. For me it is far easier to use PDFInclude
for files created with a "more friendly" ABC notation program.

Yes, there is the ABC package, which I am assured, in the right hands, can
be used to include ABC notation directly into a TeX score, converting it to
conventional notation. But I have never been able to make it play nicely
with any of my rather antiquated computers. For me, something like Panmus
would be a powerful argument for using LaTeX more and workarounds less.

http://kittybriton.etsy.com/ - My crafts store
http://sphemusations.tripod.com/ - Music by James Butt