Don Simons <dsim...@roadrunner.com> writes:

> Rodolfo Medina wrote
>> Thanks.  But, as I wrote, I want to put that shifted-non spacing note
> within a
>> beam.  In particular, I want to start a beam with a left-shifted note.
> With
>> non-shifted notes I would do \qb0k, \qb1k, \qb2k,...
>>
>> Here's my example:
>>
>> \input musixtex
>> \instrumentnumber{1}
>> \generalsignature{0}
>> \generalmeter{\meterfrac44}
>> \startpiece
>> \notes
>> \ibu1k1\zqb1k\zqb0j%
>> \en
>> \notes
>> \nbbu1\qb1l\tbu1\qb1m%
>> \en
>> \Endpiece
>>
>> \vfill\eject\end
>>

>> I want the note `k', starting the beam, to be non-spacing and shifted
> left.
>> Don't know how.
>>
> This still is not 100% clear, especially because in your example you put a
> note in beam 0 but never started or ended beam 0.
>
> Nevertheless, one way to left-shift the beam start and first note in your
> example is simply \loff{\ibu1k1\zqb1k}\zqb0j%

That seems to produce exactly what I wanted.  Thanks!  I remember trying to
solve it with \loff, but didn't manage to.

> Another whole approach, which you should really seriously consider, is to
> let PMX do the dirty work. An example closely related to yours would be
> entered as
>
> ==========================
> 1 1 1 4 1 4 0 0
> 1 1 20 0

> .\
> c85 c //
> X-1S d85 e1 f /
> ==========================
>
> which produces the  TeX
>
> ==========================
> \pnotes{2.00}\ibl1{'c}0\qb1c\nextvoice\off{-6.0pt}\ibu2{'e}0\qb2d%
> \off{6.0pt}\en%
> \pnotes{1.41}\tbl1\qb1{'c}\nextvoice\nbbu2\qb2{'e}\tbu2\qb2f\en%
> ==========================
>
> This has the upper beam start and its first note left-shifted, just as you
> have asked for. The way PMX puts two voices on one staff, there is no need
> to use any nonspacing notes.

I understand PMX is much faster.  At the moment though I love going on using
MusiXTeX, with all its difficulties.  Then in future I may learn other
languages.

> If you have some agenda that absolutely
> requires nonspacing notes, please spell it out.
>
> --Don Simons

I'm now typing J. S. Bach's Sinfonia n.1 in C major, three-voice invention.  I
couldn't find its source on imslp neither in tex nor pmx format.

Thanks again to all who replied to my request of help.

Regards,

Rodolfo