Andre, thanks for the report. It reminds me a little of the kinds of bugs
that Werner was so good at finding, where numerous stars had to be aligned
before they were revealed.

I think I have a fix. It turns out PMX was misreading both the first and
fourth .'s (if you replace r+0.g with f.g , it complains that the barline
comes in the wrong place). In response to the +'s, PMX was calling a general
number reading routine (for integers and floating numbers) that sucked up
the . when it shouldn't have (EXACTLY AS DIRK HAD PREDICTED!). The easiest
fix is to check whether the last character of the "number" is . and if so,
just back up the pointer by one before moving on.

Now here's a major irony and a minor mystery. PMX goes thru the whole input
file twice. The first time it just looks for syntax errors and does a little
accounting. The second time it does the real work. All the stuff in the
previous paragraph came from my looking at the first pass. After I fixed it,
Andre's file went thru fine. But when I changed the rest offsets to non-zero
integers, the printed rests were still not offset. !!??  So I started
looking in the second-pass subroutine, and I found this comment:

c  Kluge in case there is a shortcut ".". It will have been sucked up by

c  readnum.  (Same doesn't hold for ",")

So sometime in the deep dark past I had recognized exactly the issue that
Andre revealed. But not only had I failed to address it in the first pass,
here in the second pass I had indeed backed up the pointer, but then
bypassed recording the rest offset.

Hopefully this will all be fixed in the next release, which should be coming
out once I decide how to deal with my newest fetish, which is "bowed
tremolos".

--Don