In a 2007 article for *Teaching of Psychology *on "Teaching Psychological
Science through Writing" I offered a few of my favorite trade books, as of
2006.   (Excuse any typos from the OCR scanning of the pdf article, which
I'd be glad to send anyone.)

Dave Myers
www.davidmyers.org
www.hearingloop.org

Trade Books

Sometimes we have an urge to say more than magazine

articles will allow. That has been the experience

of our colleagues who have written successful and influential

general audience "trade" books. Like many

readers of this journal, I have relished and felt pride

in books by psychological scientists such as Robert

Cialdini, Thomas Gilovich, Judith Rich Harris, Irving

Janis, Elizabeth Loftus, Susan Nolen-Hoeksema, James

Pennebaker, Steven Pinker, Daniel Schacter, Martin

Seligman, Carol Tavris, Daniel Wegner, Timothy

Wilson, and Phillip Zimbardo. Now our field has been

blessed with four successful new trade books, each of

which is giving psychology away to large audiences.

Schwartz's (2004) *The Paradox of Choice, *which has

been massively covered in various media, applies psy~

chological science in explaining why today's world

ironically offers us more choice and less satisfaction.

Twenge's (2006) *Generation *Me masterfully draws on

research and popular culture in depicting the rise of

epidemic narcissism, illusory optimism, and anxiety

among today's younger Americans. In *The Happiness*

*Hypothesis, *Haidt (2006) pointed to a more meaningful,

moral, and happy life by interweaving ancient wisdom

and modem science. Gilbert’s (2006) *Stumbling*

on *Happiness *gives readers a rollicking tour of the new

research on people's inability to predict their own happiness.

In addition also to Seligman's (2002) *Authentic*

*Happiness *and Lykken's (1999) *Happiness, *there arc

two more happiness books to come. Emmons (2007)

authored *Thanks! How the New *Science *of Gratitude*

*Can Make You Happier. *Diener and Biswas-Diener (in

press) wrote *Happiness:  Unlocking the Mysteries of *

*Psychological Wealth, *the title of

their forthcoming report of well-being research.

Lest anyone think that positive psychology has com-

pletely taken over the discipline, the happiness trade

books are balanced by psychologist-authored "evil"

trade books. Waller's (2002) powerful *Becoming *Evil.

will soon appear in a second edition. Shermer (2004)

offered *The Science af Good *and Evil, Baumeister (1997)

contributed *Evil: Inside Human Cruelty *and *Violence,*

Zimbardo (2007) has authored *The Lucifer Effect: *Un~

*derstanding How *Good *People *Turn Evil, and Tavris and

Aronson (2007) coauthored Mistakes *Were Made (But*

*Not by *Me).