Here is the attendance policy that I use in my History of Psych class. I use a points given method. Students get index cards at the beginning of the semester that they must pick up before each class (that is how I take attendance - card not picked up, person not present). If the person participates, they are given a pen, told to write the date and then make a checkmark (I use a bunch of funky ink colors). I am teaching a Tues/Thurs class and have 31 students. If a student shows up, but doesn't participate (or does a group shout of an answer), they get 2 points for that day. If the person actually answers a question (raises hand, doesn't matter if right or wrong, doesn't matter how many questions answered), they get 5 points for that day. I use a different formula for MWF classes. My students can get up to 125 points if they participate every single class period and, if they must miss a class or two, not an issue. However, missing many classes results in not so good a grade. Students can actually see how many times they have missed class and how often they participated (and class participation remains at a very high level).

Class Participation. This class is designed to be a capstone senior level course in which you show your understanding of psychology. Course participation is a requirement. You will be graded on your participation level. While I don’t require perfect attendance, obviously if you are not here, you are not participating. Part of your grade will be based on class attendance (for those questions everyone shouts out an answer to). However, attendance does not equal participation- that is, for you to earn a good grade in this area means more than showing up and breathing or asking me to explain something over again. When you do make comments, make sure they are relevant to the discussion at hand. You have the questions before class  that will be the discussion we will be having. Go through the two books and make an outline of the response that would answer the question. There will be some answers that will not be found in the book but the majority of the information is there. As a rule of thumb, we will cover approximately 2 questions per class time. Make sure to bring your answers and both books to class with you every day. If I must wait more than 5 minutes for an answer to a question because no one in the class has prepared for that answer and everyone is looking up the response in class, then everyone will be responsible for that material on their own time  I will not answer any questions about that material outside of class either.
Points for class participation: 2 for being in class that day, 5 if actually raised hand and called on
90-100 - Actively participates in almost every class period.
80-90 - Some class participation (has contributed approximately once a week or slightly less).
70-80 - Minimal participation (has contributed a few times to class discussion).
60-70 - Came to class regularly (very few misses) but has only participated once or twice.
        <60 - Does not attend class regularly and/or has not participated.