A misguided friend of mine, retired not too long, decided to go back to
teaching. He discovered something new this time: an elevation in the
level of student chutzpah.

For example, one of his students e-mailed him that he had received 73%
for a B, and asked for a free 2% so his mark could be upgraded to a B+.
My friend commented that this student seemed to think of university
grades the way someone in a restaurant thinks of the bread basket: could
I have more, please?

Another of his students e-mailed him that he missed a good part of the
course and the first test because he was on vacation and didn't realize
that the course didn't wait for him to get back. He asked that his grade
be based on the tests given after his return.

Note that in both cases, the outrageous requests were made by e-mail.
Coincidence? I think not. It seems to me that now that the twittering
facebook generation has become comfortable with e-mailing their profs, we
can expect much more of the same. What they wouldn't dare ask for over
the phone or in person is worth a try by e-mail. Maybe I'll get lucky,
they think.

My friend asked me whether students at Bishop's behaved like this. Not
then, I replied, but probably now. And in the spirit of the irrepressible
Michael S. I throw the question out to the list:

Do you have any examples of your own of outrageous importuning, in
particular by e-mail, but also by other means? Send me something.

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University      e-mail:  sbl...@ubishops.ca
2600 College St.
Sherbrooke QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Subscribe to discussion list (TIPS) for the teaching of
psychology at http://flightline.highline.edu/sfrantz/tips/