Title: tag

sbl...@ubishops.ca wrote:
Do you have any examples of your own of outrageous importuning, in
particular by e-mail, but also by other means? Send me something.

Dear Colleagues,

Hi All,

I put together this list for the NITOP lunch a couple of years ago.  I get these emails requests all of the time and save them in a folder. Please be aware that none of these (as far as I know) are students at my university. It appears they just stumbled across my email while surfing online. I sometimes write back suggesting books or other readings but you will see that this is not always appreciated. These are unedited and presented as written in their entirety.  Enjoy!

Linda

Email 1: Could you please tell me what are the directional trends of gowth and development through out the normal lifespan and give an example of each.

Email 2: Can you please send me info on life cycle.  I am a sociology student and need info urgently about what it means to be elderly, young, middle aged etc.  If you can help me then i would be extremely grateful.

Email 3:  I am a student at Louisiana State University at Eunice. The only class that I truly enjoy is my Developmental Psychology class. I have found your information not only helpful but extremely interesting. I have a project to do for my class and I haven't had much luck in finding what I need. If there is any way that you could possibly send me some information related to issues of human development in infancy, early childhood, middle childhood, adolescence, early, middle and late adulthood. If this is too much trouble then I do understand, but if not, I truly would appreciate it.

Email 4: can you please send  to me as soon as possible Eric Erickson'S theory on personality development - the eight stages of man?

Email 5: how old must the student be to participate in this institution?

Email 6: I need more info on Mary Ellen Richmond--pronto.

Alas, I did not provide more information to the last emailer in a pronto fashion.  I did recommend a few books and articles.  The above did not like my suggestions and replied:

You know, I thought you were nice.  But, SCREW OFF... I know what a library is and I was just trying to get some information out of your useless head.  But I guess theres nothing left in your brain.

Email 7: what is ageism, racism, sexism, sizeism and disablism

Email 8: i need to know more about human,growth&developement.where can i look or what are the websites?

Email 9: i have visited your qwebsite and was wondering if you know the answer to the following question: "What is the average lifespan for humans in australia, romania and other countries?" If you know information about this question, please send me an email as  i need info for my health assignment.

Email 10: need a solution to question which reads "adolescence is a period of identity crisis , storm and stress . it is a period where allis not well , discuss

Email 11: I am doing a paper on the Cambodian Genocide which is due in May.  My paper needs to be a bibliographic essay on the historiography of the Cambodian Genocide. If possible, please send me a print bibliography listing books, films, movies, scholarly articles and all other materials available on the Cambodian Genocide.  In your print bibliography, please include annotated descriptions of the different materials available.

As an aside, this student used their university email address.  I went to the university website, found the likely course, and emailed the professor who was also chair of the department.  She knew the student and indicated that she would have a discussion with him about the appropriateness of such requests.

Email 12: could u pls send any info of research that has been done of how old people perceive themselves,thanks social work student

Email 13*:  The following is a series of emails received over the course of less than an hour.  Note that I didn't respond to these as I was out to dinner:
1. Would you check my essay?   The question is: Why did so many hutus participate in the genocide?  If you can cut something, please do so. Also, please give some attention to the conclusion section.  It is a bit weak and I would appreciate it if you could make it stronger.
2. I have to give that essay on monday. please check it. thank you
3. I beg you. i really need you to check.  thank you
4. Like i told you i need this essay by Monday i beg you
5. I really didn't expect you to act this way
6. I know why you do not want to check my eesay Because i am not your student I am not American i never thought that you would discriminate me it is the last time i am writing to you and asking you for help bye forever

Email 14+ - The following is another series of emails received over the course of one hour:
1. i need to find ruby bridges pleez help email me
2. pleez answer me i need help for school please tell me where ruby bridges might be ok please e-mail me bye
3. PLEASE TELL ME
4. hi i found it thanks do u like ur work?
5. i didnt mean to bother u im so sorry seriously honest
6. thanks

Email 15: hi! i just want to have a free research papers about human rights....its my project and i need it as soon as possible..thank you in advance.....
p.s.
its a minimum of 8 pages with a font size of 12......thanks....

--
Linda M. Woolf, Ph.D.
Professor, Psychology and International Human Rights

Hulsizer, M. R., & Woolf, L. M. (2008). Teaching statistics: Innovations and best practices. Malden, MA: Blackwell.
Book Web site at: http://www.teachstats.org

Past-President & Internet Editor: Society for the Study of Peace, Conflict, & Violence (Div. 48, APA)
Program Committee: National Institute on the Teaching of Psychology (NITOP)
Board Member: Institute for the Study of Genocide

Woolf Web page:  http://www.webster.edu/~woolflm/
Email: wool...@webster.edu

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's (and woman's) best friend. . . .
Inside a dog, it's too dark to read."
                  -             Groucho Marx

Kiva - loans that change lives